Saturday, July 15

not miserable anymore.

While I was poking around where I live, looking for expats to become friends with, Jordanians were protesting Israel. Honestly, I am kind of surprised it took this long. It really does feel like a long-range war is coming. I spoke tonight with this really great academic, RA, who studies political science and has been researching Jordanian-Israeli relations for years, and he also feels like this is a long-term thing, where within 2 weeks Israel will be occupying southern Lebanon again, like it did until 2000.

The big question I have is what is the exit strategy, and what are the alternatives to escalation? Because frankly this conflict started up so quickly that it feels stupid. Especially when winning or losing in Lebanon will not really do anything for Israel.

Let's say Israel "wins" by beating the shit out of Hizbollah, or killing off the head -- there will be so many casualties, and it will take so long, that the Arab world and a lot of the international community will be pissed beyond belief. Maybe Israel gets the soldiers back, maybe not. Let's say Israel "loses" and does not take out all of Hizbollah - then it still will kill a bunch of people and fail to improve the safety of its people. Isn't there a smarter way to deal with this? Suggestions?

By the way, the Lebanese War of the 1980s marked the first time Israelis en masse doubted the power and moral infallibility of their army. So going in again raises all sorts of questions now about the last war, and how long this one is going to last.

Back to Jordan...It's so interesting to be on this side of the world while this stuff happens. I really don't understand, though, why the streets are not exploding. I was kind of expecting Palestine flags to be out everywhere, for there to be posters supporting Hamas and Hizbollah, and it is so quiet. This may have to do with a strong police and military presence all over the street, which comes down hard on even tourists taking photos outside.

For a taste of the Jordanian and Arab blogosphere, check out Into the Wind, a Jordanian blog, and Toot, a network of Arab blogs. Pretty interesting stuff.

I have had a great weekend, which is because I pretty much shoved myself out of the house so I would stop moping. If nothing else, this trip may teach me about how to feel comfortable traveling alone. This week I start Arabic lessons. Going to look into getting a translator. I put up some signs saying I want a one-month roommate, but that may not pan out - I will have to see. All I found so far is a pair of guys looking for a roommate, which I don't think I'd be comfortable with, and a kind of hardassed girl who is researching honor killings and wants her own room and no roommate. Probably so she can hide the evidence.

2 Comments:

At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI I met a fellow intern who apparently went through basic training with the Israeli army. More on that later. Glad to hear you're out and about and getting happy.

 
At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hide what evidence?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats