Thursday, June 29

surprise! still a gringo.

I knew drivers in the Middle East are crazy, but really there is nothing like being in a huge SUV, driving around a traffic circle where cars are streaming in from all directions and there are no lanes. The traffic was jammed because of construction on a major highway, so all these smaller streets in Amman were absolutely clogged. I was driving around with a girl from the area to do some errands, and she was a pretty badass driver, right down to leaving me in the car that she left idling right in the middle of a main road, next to a row of parallel parked cars, while she sent a fax.

Not too much going on today except for more general confusion about being surrounded by Arabic and not understanding more than three words. I picked up a few more - dob (bear), tsharafna (nice to meet you), tamam (perfect), khara (shit), esh (what). This post may be more for my benefit than yours, because I am too lazy to write these words down anywhere besides the Internet.

Jordanian food is so cheap...I bought a whole bag of fruit and vegetables - oranges, cucumbers, tomatoes, lemons, onions, etc for 2 JDs. Got some pasta too...I figure I will have to budget out my food so I can go out at night, once I have friends. If I get some friends.

8 Comments:

At 1:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure wacky Jordanian environmentalists will need friends more than you do, so problem solved!

-Jonah

 
At 4:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how much is two jds?

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger DCheslow said...

yiran, according to post #3, one JD is 1.4 American dollars. Two JDs are $2.80. Six JDs is what I spent tonight on a mediocre salad and pretty good mango juice.

 
At 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you mean rotary - traffic circles are what you do when you're drunk and bored and in a parking lot at night.

 
At 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, Daniella, according to _your_ previous post, 1 USD = 1.4 JD. So, 2 JD is approximately US$1.43. Your food was even cheaper than you'd thought. Or you posted the incorrect exchange rate in the first place.

 
At 1:26 AM, Blogger DCheslow said...

dammit, i posted the wrong rate. lauren, i hate you. for the record: when I spent one jordanian dinar, it's as though I spent $1.40 american.

 
At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love you, too, snookums.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats