Saturday, July 1

very very nice

It's midnight and there are cars honking and people screaming outside and probably raving drunk. I am in because the lameass I was supposed to go out with cancelled on the last minute. I better find some people to get trashed with...luckily I have a friend coming on Thursday, and Dad in two days. Between the two of them I should be covered.

On second thought, getting drunk with my dad may be creepy.

WARNING: I actually start work tomorrow, so I may not have the time anymore to post every day. On the other hand...maybe you will get lucky and I will have no life.

Someone gave me a philosophy on life in Jordan today: it has all the pitfalls of a dictatorship, with none of the perks; i.e. there is no freedom of speech but still, everything is expensive. A cup of freshly made juice at a nice restaurant is $3 (2 JD). A decent hotel can be $25 a night. A "bargain" breakfast can cost 6 JDs.

Biggest achievement today was getting hummus from this highly recommended restaurant Hashem, in the middle of the downtown area. I spent the day with a British girl, A, who spent the spring semester in Amman and is wrapping up her trip before she goes home. We got a bowl of hummus, a bowl of beans, chickpeas and olive oil (the dish is called fool), a plate of fries, pita bread and tea for 2 JD (dictatorship prices, I guess). By the way, Allan Madrid, you were a key connection here, so thanks.

Also I had a diarrhea scare last night. I think it was just a one-time thing. I thought it might be dysentary or typhoid. I got my vaccine the day of my flight and it's not yet effective.

I spent about 40 minutes getting lost and being late to a gathering today that A invited me too. I met her Arabic teacher and a bunch of other American and Italian women who have been here for anywhere from two weeks to four years. Sleazy journalist type I am, I whipped out a pen and sucked out all their contact information, which may be useful if I want to study Arabic, get a homestay, see the United Nations Relief Works Agency and the Palestinian refugee camps they run, or get advice from former Fulbrighters on how to put together an application. Basically, a pretty shoddy bunch...not.

And now, I am grouping the catcalls I got today into the like and dislike categories. It doesn't matter if you show arm or not, it's because I am obviously white and foreign.

Like:

  • "Very nice, very very nice."

Dislike:

  • Whistling.
  • Yelling things at me in Arabic, which I don't understand.
  • Saying "hello, hello, welcome."
  • Being five years old and doing any of those things.
  • Making groping gestures as you walk by.
  • Honking in my face.
  • Staring at me from a window or balcony 30 feet above me.

By the way, my little sister's flooded summer camp has made the news. Being a good little girl, she is in upstate NY for the month and was evacuated to a nearby high school for a few days: http://www.recordonline.com/flood06/stories/fa37.htm

2 Comments:

At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

uh, hi! what the hell man, why don't you allow anonymous comments? i had to bust out the account i made back in 9th grade, which was a little annoying/embarrassing. good thing i deleted my whiny high school blog.
anyway, i just wanted to say that i feel so sorry for your good jewish sister--trapped in a high school instead of camp and everything--but she should still come hang in new york with me when that's all done with. it'd be fun!
oh, and not gonna lie, that shoutout made me insanely happy. i'm glad you made at least one contact!
p.s. if you didn't get it yet, this is allan.

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger DCheslow said...

i think you should reinstate your high school blog so I can link to it on mine. And you are disgusting. But thanks so much for the help, really, Jen led me to all sorts of people around here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats